My favourite software
Aug 12, 2019 · 1 min read
This is a list of software which improved the way I use my computer.
I use Borg which allows me to efficiently backup my files, it supports encryption and deduplication of files, allowing me to use a fraction of space compared to a traditional method.
Text editing & document processing
I use neovim because it is fast, minimal and just works. Editors like VS Code and Atom sucks, a text editor shouldn’t be using 500-700MB of RAM to open a small text file.
Linux/Unix utilities and programs
- maim: a simple command-line based screenshot program.
- zsh/Oh My Zsh: my favourite shell environment setup.
- sxiv: a perfect, suckless image viewer.
- zathura: a light PDF viewer which uses Vi keyboard shortcuts.
- Claws Mail: a mail client which is lightweight and delightful to use.
- My window manager is dwm, modified to support volume and brightness controls, and theme colour changed. Now I don’t think I can switch to any other window manager.
- My terminal emulator is st, which seems to just work well.
Articles from blogs I follow around the net
These articles do not represent my opinions or views.
Making My Website More Accessible [//]: # "" Written By: Jake Bauer | Posted: 2020-02-06 | Last Updated: 2020-02-06 For about one and a half months now I've been working on redesigning paritybit.ca to make it more accessible. In that time I've…via paritybit.ca - Blog February 6, 2020
I’m 34,018 feet over the Atlantic at the moment, on my way home from FOSDEM. It was as always a lovely event, with far too many events of interest for any single person to consume. One of the few talks I was able to attend1 left a persistent worm of thought …via Drew DeVault's Blog February 6, 2020
KnightOS is an operating system I started writing about 10 years ago, for Texas Instruments line of z80 calculators — the TI-73, TI-83+, TI-84+, and similar calculators are supported. It still gets the rare improvements, but these days myself and most of the…via Drew DeVault's Blog January 27, 2020
Automating the Publishing of Articles Written By: Jake Bauer | Posted: 2019-12-30 | Last Updated: 2019-12-30 If you're seeing this, it means my automation script worked perfectly. There was too much manual work involved in publishing things to my website…via paritybit.ca - Blog December 30, 2019
Generated by openring