My favourite software
Aug 12, 2019 · 1 min read
This is a list of software which improved the way I use my computer.
I use Borg which allows me to efficiently backup my files, it supports encryption and deduplication of files, allowing me to use a fraction of space compared to a traditional method.
Text editing & document processing
I use neovim because it is fast, minimal and just works. Editors like VS Code and Atom sucks, a text editor shouldn’t be using 500-700MB of RAM to open a small text file.
Linux/Unix utilities and programs
- maim: a simple command-line based screenshot program.
- zsh/Oh My Zsh: my favourite shell environment setup.
- sxiv: a perfect, suckless image viewer.
- zathura: a light PDF viewer which uses Vi keyboard shortcuts.
- Claws Mail: a mail client which is lightweight and delightful to use.
- My window manager is dwm, modified to support volume and brightness controls, and theme colour changed. Now I don’t think I can switch to any other window manager.
- My terminal emulator is st, which seems to just work well.
Articles from blogs I follow around the net
These articles do not represent my opinions or views.
I drove a car daily for many years while I was living in Colorado, California, and New Jersey, but since I moved to Philadelphia I have not needed a car. The public transit here is not great, but it’s good enough to get where I need to be and it’s a lot easi…via Drew DeVault's Blog March 25, 2020
Since the first browser war between Netscape and Internet Explorer, web browsers have been using features as their primary means of competing with each other. This strategy of unlimited scope and perpetual feature creep is reckless, and has been allowed to g…via Drew DeVault's Blog March 18, 2020
Encryption is tricky to get right. Because some data and communications might be very sensitive or even life-critical for people, beginners are often - and quite rudely- shunned away from playing around with how it works. But if people don’t learn by maki…via Gokberk Yaltirakli March 15, 2020
Redesigning My Website's Logo Written By: Jake Bauer | Posted: 2020-02-28 | Last Updated: 2020-02-28 I got tired of the way my old logo looked so when my website redesign was complete I endeavoured to completely redesign my logo. I wanted a logo that was …via paritybit.ca - Blog February 28, 2020
Generated by openring